Old St. Hilary was originally built as a mission church named for St. Hilaire, Bishop of Poitiers. In 1888, the Archdiocese of San Francisco established the church as a place of worship for local railroad workers. As the Saint Hilary community grew, so did the need for larger facilities. In 1954, parishioners built a new church at our current site on Hilary Drive.
As the Saint Hilary community grew, so did the need for larger facilities. In 1954, parishioners built a new church on our current site. As the new Saint Hilary Church was completed, there was a strong need for a parish school. Father Forristal, pastor of Saint Hilary Church at the time, invited the Sisters of the Holy Faith to help establish the parish’s school. To answer the call, four Sisters of the Holy Faith came to Saint Hilary to start the school: Sister Mary Athanasius, Sister Johanna Corby (Mary Giovanni), Sister Maura Flynn (Mary Gerard Majella) and Sister Joanne Tierney (Mary Columban). As the first school principal, Sister Mary Athanasius split her time between teaching 3rd grade students and attending to school administrative duties. That first year, there were 93 students in four classes: Grades 1-4. The school grew each year, adding one new class until it was a full elementary school. The legacy rich in Catholic tradition and academic excellence passed on from the Sisters remains strong today.
Today Saint Hilary School is a thriving school with approximately 255 students from a variety of religious and ethnic backgrounds attending Kindergarten through Grade 8. In 2004, a multi-million dollar facilities upgrade was completed, providing a gymnasium, a new Middle School, a fully equipped science lab, an upgraded library and technology center, and a dedicated art studio.
Our students learn in modern and caring educational environment reflecting a strong sense of community, spirituality, and academic excellence.